By Vaughn Baker
Recently there were three tragic headlines about churches, and all had to do with parking lots.
- In one, a man was convicted of killing his mother at a Chicago-area church.
- In another, an argument led to several shots fired and at least one person transported to a hospital in Abilene, Texas.
- Still another parking lot shooting left a man in critical condition in Vermont.
We can’t control everything that might happen in our parking areas 24 hours a day. But we can:
- Have an active, alert, friendly parking ministry. And not just on Sunday morning.
- Make sure our lots are well lit.
- Partner with law enforcement to encourage late-night patrols around our premises.
Let’s do all we can to keep our churches out of the news and our members and neighbors out of harm’s way.